Dual Vapor Gravimetric Sorption Analyzer
The world’s most advanced DVS Instrument, the DVS Resolution is a dual vapor gravimetric analyzer that brings unparalleled capabilities and precisions to the study of complex sorption behaviors.
The instrument has the combined ability to precisely control and measure temperature and relative humidity while recording the highest resolution changes in mass.
Incorporating an innovative dual balance design, the DVS Resolution provides accurate precision sorption measurements on a huge range of materials. Employing a dry carrier gas, typically Nitrogen or compressed air, the instrument uses digital mass flow controllers to regulate flows of dry and saturated gases. By precisely mixing dry and saturated gas flows in desired flow ratios, precision levels of relative humidity are generated.
With the Surface Measurement Systems Ultrabalance™ measuring minute real-time mass changes caused by sorption and desorption in the sample, valuable sorption behaviors can be observed in a range of materials. The DVS Resolution can function with a range of modular accessories (I.e. in-situ pre-heater), greatly expanding its experimental capabilities. As the most advanced and versatile DVS instrument on the market, the DVS Resolution is the leading sorption analyzer in the world.
Dual Vapor Gravimetric Sorption Analyzer
Discover what makes the DVS Resolution the world’s best-selling sorption analyzer.
Long-Term Temperature Stability
With multiple temperature zones to prevent condensation issues, and vapor generation matching delivery temperature, the DVS Resolution offers incredibly long-term stability in both temperature and humidity delivery, with typical stability at 25 °C being ±0.2 °C.
The DVS Resolution offers the highest level of humidity precision in any instrument we’ve ever produced.
Balance Baseline Stability over 24 hours
With the unrivaled precision of the Surface Measurement Systems Ultrabalance at its core, the DVS Resolution is capable of measuring mass changes at a resolution of 0.1ug with peak-to-peak noise of less than or equal to 0.3 ug.
Surface Measurement Systems engineer the only DVS instruments to offer True0 RH, achieving partial pressures of water as low as 0.0% RH, and enabling the study of hydrates and other compounds only completely dry below 1% RH.
- The only system to measure organic vapor partial pressure directly using Ultrasonic Sensor (patent pending)
- Open stainless steel stand design enabling easy access to sample pan while minimizing static electric charging
- Broad range (5-85 °C) and single uniform and accurate temperature enclosure
- Next-generation control and evaluation software for the most advanced experimental design and data analysis
- Capable of upgrading to 5 balances
- Optional IR, Raman, and Video imaging with integrated control software
- Water, organic solvent, and gas sorption and desorption isotherms
- Co-adsorption isotherms using two vapors
- Optional in-situ sample preheating/drying to 200 °C
- Multiple sorption/desorption and sample drying or activation cycles
- Sample masses from 1 mg to 5000 mg
- Surface and bulk measurement capabilities and analyses
- Hygroscopicity of pharmaceutical solids
- Tg and RH phase transitions in polymers
- Amorphous content determination of solids
- Diffusion and permeation in polymers
- Food, flavors, and fragrances
- Wood and cellulosic materials
- Hydrophilic and hydrophobic materials
- Temperature controlled enclosure
- Control range: 5 °C to 85 °C
- Control precision: ±0.1°C
- Enclosure also provides anti-condensation protection
High-temperature pre-heater for sample drying/activation
- Delivers local sample temperatures of up to 200 °C
- Heating ramp rates: up to 5 °C / min
- Sensor: Pt-100 thermocouple
- Manifold: 316 stainless steel
- Seals: Viton
- Tubing: 1/4 inch stainless steel
- Material: Pyrex glass
- 25 and 0.5L as standard
- 2 Reservoirs included
Relative humidity generation, measurement, & sensor
High-accuracy digital mass flow controllers and capacitance probe
- Carrier Gas – Dry air or Nitrogen
- Relative humidity range from 0 to 98%
- RH range accuracy from 5 – 60 °C ±1%
- RH range accuracy from 60 – 85 °C ±2%
Organic vapor measurement with Speed of Sound Sensor
High-accuracy digital mass flow controllers for vapor and gas delivery
Speed of Sound Sensor for organic vapors
Carrier Gas – Dry air or Nitrogen
Partial Pressure range from 0 to 90%
Partial Pressure accuracy from 10 – 70 °C ±1%
In-line real-time Speed-of-Sound Sensor for organic vapor Partial Pressure (P/Po) measurements and control with a typical resolution of ±0.1% P/Po
- Automated zeroing of Speed of Sound sensor prior to each experiment
Note: SMS limits the use of organic solvents to 20°C below their boiling points.
- Ethyl acetate
- Ethyl benzene
Next-generation purpose-built control and evaluation software for the most advanced experimental design and data analysis.
Complex protocols for multiple experimental sequences using sample pre-heating and conditioning; isotherm, isobar, and ramped humidity and organic vapor methods; single or dual vapor delivery and control; a fixed time or mass derivative steps.
Multiple-method protocols incorporating:
- Sample pre-heating
- Vapor sorption
- Vapor exchange
- Dual vapor co-adsorption
- Temperature changes in a single experiment, including
- Ramp or step changes in relative humidity
- Automated video image acquisition
- Organic vapor sorption partial pressure
- Temperature stages may be based on fixed-time or user-defined dm/dt criteria
- Complex isotherm experiments
- Experiments may include half, full, or multiple partial pressure or temperature cycles
- Permeability and diffusion
- Kinetics information
- Heat of sorption
- Tg determinations
- Amorphous content
21CFR Part 11 software solution is available for all DVS software upon request.
UltraBalance™ low mass
- Sample mass: between 1 and 1000mg
- Mass change: ±150mg
- Resolution (precision): 0.1 μg
- Root mean square
- balance noise: ≤ 0.3 μg
UltraBalance™ high mass
- Sample mass: between 10 and 5000mg
- Mass change: ±1000mg
- Resolution (precision): 1 μg
- Root mean square
- balance noise: ≤ 3 μg
Find out more about the DVS Resolution
The DVS Resolution is the world’s most advanced DVS instrument. To find out more details about its capabilities, or enquire how you can bring its incredible capabilities to your lab, simply fill in your details below.