Dual Balance Gravimetric Vapor Sorption
The world’s most advanced dual-balance gravimetric vapor sorption instrument, the DVS Discovery is the latest offering in the Dynamic Vapor Sorption (DVS) instrument range.
The DVS Discovery combines an innovative dual-balance design with outstanding vapor generation and temperature control. This increases high throughput while reducing operator time.
Employing Surface Measurement Systems’ very own Dynamic Vapor Sorption (DVS) technique, the DVS Discovery enables users to conduct advanced materials characterization research employing water or organic solvents. The instrument comes with all the hallmarks of the DVS range; incredible Ultrabalance accuracy, unparalleled temperature, and humidity control, and a range of modular accessories that greatly expand its capabilities.
This versatile instrument is employable in a range of applications, providing data on water sorption isotherms, Hygroscopicity of pharmaceutical solids, Tg and RH phase transitions in polymers, Amorphous content determination, Diffusion and permeation in polymers, and more.
The world’s most advanced dual-balance gravimetric vapor sorption analyzer
See the DVS Discovery in action, and discover what this groundbreaking instrument is capable of with our video showcase.
Organic and water vapor sorption kinetics and isotherm from 10 to 70 ℃
Gain accurate and detailed data on water sorption kinetics and isotherms of materials using water vapor or organic solvents.
Dual balance design for simultaneous mass measurements
Get higher throughput and reduce operator time with our innovative dual balance design, enabling simultaneous mass measurement of two samples.
Including our patented Speed-of-Sound sensor, Microscopic camera, In-situ sample pre-heater, IR/Raman, and more, the DVS Discovery offers a range of modular accessories to greatly expand its capabilities.
True 0 drying at 0.0% RH
As the only DVS instrument range offering True0 Relative Humidity, achieving partial pressures of water as low as 0.0% RH, vital for hydrates and other compounds that only completely dry below 1% RH and the investigation of sorption/desorption at low RH levels.
- Water sorption kinetics and isotherms
- Hygroscopicity of pharmaceutical solids
- Tg and RH phase transitions in polymers
- Amorphous content determination of solids
- Diffusion and permeation in polymers
- Food, flavors, and fragrances
- Wood and cellulosic materials
- Hydrophilic and hydrophobic materials.
This schematic displays the basic functioning principles of the DVS Discovery instrument.
- Temperature controlled enclosure
- Control range: 10 °C to 70 °C
- Temperature stability ± 0.05 °C over 6 hours
- Temperature resolution 0.01 °C
High-Temperature Pre-heater for drying up to 2 samples
- 200 oC (maximum local temperature)
- Heating ramp rates: up to 5 ºC/min
- Temperature sensor: Pt-100
- Manifold: 316 stainless steel
- Seals: Viton® and Kalrez® or equivalent
- Tubing: 1/4 inch stainless steel
- 1 glass reservoir as standard
- Optional heated reservoir
- High-accuracy digital mass flow controllers
- Wide dynamic range – turndown ratio 1000:1
- Carrier Gas – Dry air or Nitrogen
- Relative humidity range from 0 to 98% for 10 – 45 oC
- Relative humidity range from 0 to 85% for 45 – 70 oC
- Relative humidity resolution ± 0.1%
- Relative humidity stability ± 0.1% over 6 hours
- RH range accuracy from 10 – 45 oC ± 0.5%3
- RH range accuracy from 45 – 70 oC ± 1%3
Organic Vapor Generation and Measurement using Speed of Sound Sensor
- Partial pressure range from 0 to 90% P/Po
- P/Po resolution ± 0.1%
- P/Po accuracy from 10 – 70 oC ±1% P/Po
Ultrabalance Low Mass
- Maximum load: 1000 mg
- Mass change: ±150 mg
- Resolution: 0.01 μg
- Balance noise: ≤ 0.3 μg
Ultrabalance High Mass
- Maximum load: 5000 mg
- Mass change: ±1000 mg
- Resolution: 0.1 μg
- Balance noise: ≤ 3 μg
Dimensions: 520 mm (W) x 980 mm (H) x 610 mm (D)
20.4″ (W) x 38.58″ (H) x 24.01″ (D)
Weight: 80 kg (180 lb)
Electrical: 200-240 V, 50/60 Hz, 1500 VA
- AQUA: 1 humidity sensor
- Organic: 1 humidity sensor plus 1 SoS sensor, (1 reservoir)
DVS Control Software:
- Sample pre-heating
- Vapor sorption
- Temperature changes in a single experiment
- Ramp or step changes in relative humidity
- Automated video image and IR/Raman spectra acquisition
- Complex isotherm experiments
- Organic vapor sorption partial pressure
- Experimental stages may be based on fixed-time or user-defined dm/dt criteria
- Experiments may include half, full or multiple partial pressure or temperature cycles
- WindowsTM 10
DVS Analysis Software:
- Permeability and diffusion
- Kinetics information
- Surface area models
- Amorphous content
- Heat of sorption
- Tg determinations
- Control Software
- Standard Analysis
- Advanced Analysis Suite
- Isotherm Analysis Suite
21CFR Part 11 software solution (optional)
Discover what’s possible with Dynamic Vapor Sorption
To find out more about this groundbreaking instrument, or to discuss bringing its capabilities to your lab with a member of our team, download the brochure or request a call below.