Home > Newsroom > Events > Materials Characterisation Workshops
Materials Characterization using DVS and iGC-SEA techniques for Personal Care Applications
The workshop will cover in-depth Dynamic Vapor Sorption (DVS) technique and iGC-SEA (Inverse Gas Chromatography – Surface Energy Analyzer), the most-advanced scientific instrument in determining surface energy. Some key applications conducted using DVS and iGC-SEA are:
- DVS: Measuring BET Surface Areas Using Organic Probe Molecules
- DVS: Measurement of Moisture Uptake Capacity in Human Hair Using Dynamic Vapour Sorption Technique.
- DVS: Measuring TEWL or Moisture Flux Across Artificial Skin
- iGC-SEA: Investigation of the influence of bleaching conditions on surface properties of standard hair samples by inverse gas chromatography
- iGC-SEA: The Characterisation of Surface Area and Surface Adsorption Potential Heterogeneity Profiles of Hair by Inverse Gas Chromatography
- iGC-SEA: The characterisation of cotton fabrics and the interaction with perfume molecules by inverse gas chromatography.
- Use of the dynamic vapor sorption meter to measure skin hydration properties
- Gravimetric method for in vitro calibration of skin hydration measurements
Speakers from industry and academia will discuss DVS and iGC-SEA, from theory to common applications and present real case studies. In addition, an instrument demonstrations will also be taken place at the end of all presentations.
Date: Thursday, 30th June 2016
Time: 10am – 3pm (BST)
Venue: Level 3ACEX, Lecture Theatre 3, Imperial College London, UK (South Kensington Campus).
Download campus map >>
How to get to Imperial College London >>
1000 – 1015: Welcome / Registration
1015 – 1100: Introduction to Sorption Science (Dr Daryl Williams, Imperial College London)
1100 – 1145: Challenges and Opportunities in Personal Care Formulation (Dr Jim Bullock, iFormulate)
1145 – 1215: An introduction to Dynamic Vapour Sorption (DVS) (Dr Damiano Cattaneo, Surface Measurement Systems)
1215 – 1315: Lunch
1300 – 1345: Vapour Sorption Properties of Personal Care Products (Dr Majid Naderi, Surface Measurement Systems)
1345 – 1430: DVS Instrument demo/Q&A
Refreshment and light lunch will be provided.
For more information, please email Ms Nektaria Servi. To register, please fill-in the information below.