Surface Measurement Systems (SMS) is a technological market-leading manufacturer of advanced scientific instruments for solids characterisation. Foundered by Professor Daryl Williams of Imperial College, the company is looking to recruit an Application Scientist to join their team in mid-year 2021. This is an exciting opportunity to join a growing SME company that achieved a record year in 2019, are based in West London, and has offices in the USA and Asia. SMS instruments are used to characterise all types of solid-state materials from pharmaceutical powders to aircraft composites and are used by 100’s of the world’s leading companies and universities including NASA, IBM, Google, MIT, Pfizer, Astra-Zeneca, and Imperial College.
Responsibilities will include the following listed below and other duties may be assigned depending on the needs of the business:
- Provide scientific leadership on DVS and IGC SEA products
- Work with Laboratory Manager as well as Product Managers
- Test prospective customer samples and provide appropriate scientific sample analysis reports.
- Work with scientists on advancing SMS’s science
- Give poster and oral scientific presentations internationally as well as webinars
- Provide feedback on ways of improving sales and business internationally
- Write scientific papers and reports
- Visit potential future customers with sales staff internationally
- Work with the marketing team to support sales.
- Carry out internal audit and ISO responsibilities
- Other duties as agreed or assigned.
You will be working in a small team with other engineers and scientists and should not only be able to work as a member of a team but must also be self-reliant and show personal initiative. Regular international travel.
Required Skills & Experience
The position of Application Scientist requires a broad range of scientific skills, including, but not limited to:
- Experience of experimental work in a scientific or chemistry laboratory
- Expertise in thermal analysis or advanced materials characterisation
- Experience using vapour sorption studies on materials is advantageous including DVS and IGC methods
- Good communication skills are essential
- Knowledge and understanding pharmaceutical or porous or complex organic materials is advantageous.
- Ability to give scientific lectures and posters
A wide range of skills and experience is useful, but should include:
- Scientific approaches to research
- Writing scientific reports, progress reports, etc.
- Experience of sorption experimental methods
- Ability to give presentations in English
- Microsoft Office
Qualifications & Education Requirement
The position requires a person with a minimum of Master’s degree (MSc, MEng or MPhil.) or a PhD in Chemical Engineering or Applied Chemistry or Physical Chemistry or a related disciple.
Additional training will be provided on an “as needs” basis
- Surface Measurement Systems Ltd is committed to equal opportunities and actively seeks applications from all sectors of the community including overseas nationals
How to Apply:
Closing date for applicants: 4 June 2021